Arabic: Arabic Conversation Table, Tutoring
The University of Kentucky Arabic Club hosts three weekly conversation table sessions open to all interested UK students looking to practice conversational Arabic speaking skills. The meeting times for these tables are as follows
- Tuesdays, 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. in POT 1045
- Tuesdays, 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in POT 145
- Wednesdays, 2:00 p.m. - 2:50 p.m. in CB 303
The UK Arabic Club hosts additional tutoring sessions throughout the week aiming to help students with homework and exam preparation. The meeting times for tutoring sessions are as follows:
- All Arabic Levels: Thursdays, 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. in POT 1006
First year students: Thursdays, 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in POT 1022
- Students of all levels are welcome to attend this hour, however, those outside of the beginning level will only receive practice with speaking skills.
- Stay up to date with cultural events hosted by UK Arabic Club by following their Facebook account.
Chinese: Chinese Language and Culture Club (CLCC)
- The Chinese Language and Culture Club is a student-run organization open to all students of all language proficiency levels interested in learning about Chinese language and culture.
- This group does not currently have set meeting times. If you are interested in cultural events or conversation tables hosted by CLCC please visit their Facebook page or Twitter page for updates.
French: UK French Club
- The UK French Club hosts cultural and conversational activities as well as film nights, game nights, and roundtable discussions on/near UKs campus. Their events are open to all students interested in learning the French language and culture. Events are hosted by graduate and teaching assistants as well as undergraduate students in the Modern & Classical Languages, Literatures & Cultures Department.
- If you are in need of a French tutor, please click here.
- If you are in need of French translators, please click here.
- To stay up to date with UK French Club’s events please see their online schedule here or follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- For any further questions with regards to UK French Club, contact them at FrenchClubUKY@gmail.com.
German: UK German Club
- UK German Club provides students of all backgrounds in the German language with an opportunity to connect with other German students outside the classroom, gain exposure to German culture and current events as well as obtain information regarding study abroad programs.
- The UK German Club currently meets every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at the Max Kade House (212 East Maxwell).
- To stay up to date with more of their events, follow their Facebook Page or contact email@example.com for current meeting and event schedules.
Japanese: Japanese Culture in Kentucky Society (JCiKS)
- The University of Kentucky Japanese Culture in Kentucky Society is a student run organization that seeks to provides students with opportunities to engage in social activities centered around aspects of Japanese culture found in Kentucky. JCiKS also provides Japanese tutoring for non-native speakers as well as English tutoring for students from Japan. In addition to tutoring, the Japanese Culture in Kentucky Society offers assistance and support for students from Japan currently studying at the University of Kentucky in order to foster a spirit of community among students from Japan and those interested in Japanese culture.
- JCiKS holds regular meetings every Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. in Whitehall Classroom Building Room 203. For any questions regarding meetings contact Jimmy Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit their Facebook Page.
Korean: Korean Conversation Table
The Korean Conversation Table is hosted by the student-run Korean Language and Culture Club (KLCC) and is open to all students interested in learning the Korean language regardless of their skill level. Two separate sessions are held every Friday in Patterson Office Tower 1045:
- Beginning Learners 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Intermediate Learners 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- If you are unavailable to meet during either of these times, please contact email@example.com or reach out to their Facebook group Korean Language and Culture Club to see about scheduling an individual meeting.
Russian: UK Russian Club
- For students seeking to practice their conversational speaking skills, UK’s Russian Club holds a weekly conversation table at 7:00 p.m. in Young Library. The table is hosted by a UK student who is also a native speaker. Students of all proficiency levels are welcome.
- UK’s Russian Club hosts a monthly Russian Tea event that allows students of all skill levels to practice their conversational speaking skills in an informal setting. For more information in regards to the dates of their next Russian Tea follow their Facebook account or contact Professor Cynthia Ruber at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to their Listserv.
- For those seeking to improve listening skills as well as further enhance their understanding of Russian literature and culture, tune in on Thursdays to the weekly broadcast of Russian Radio on WRL - FM (88.1) from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Tutoring or any further assistance needed with Russian Studies is also available upon arrangement with Cynthia Ruber
Spanish: La mesa del español, Almuerzos
La Mesa: Tuesdays, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in The 90
- La mesa is a weekly tutoring and conversation hour available to all UK students. Spanish learners of any level are welcome and will receive conversation practice and/or help with grammar topics from UK faculty.
Almuerzos: Wednesdays, 11:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. in Patterson Office Tower 1145
- Almuerzos is a weekly conversation hour held by graduate students and professors of the hispanic studies department. Feel free to bring your lunch or just stop in to practice conversational Spanish skills with a native or fluent speaker.
- Individual tutors and translators are available for one on one tutoring or written translation work. Please contact the graduate students listed below for individualized tutoring sessions to discuss their availability and rates.